Congressman Correa Cosponsors the Protecting Our Democracy Act
Washington, D.C. — Today, Congressman Lou Correa (D-CA) announced his cosponsorship of the Protecting Our Democracy Act. This legislation includes several comprehensive reforms that ensure accountability and transparency by protecting our democracy through the restoration of our systems, checks and balances, preventing presidential abuse, and protecting our election.
Rep. Lou Correa said: “As members of Congress, it is imperative my colleagues and I protect and strengthen our democracy. I am proud to cosponsor the Protecting Our Democracy Act, pillar legislation that ensures we prevent any future presidency from overstepping their authority, effectively restoring our systems checks and balances and protecting our elections from foreign interference.”
The Protecting Our Democracy Act will also:
- Allow Congress greater insight into presidential pardons or commutations that appear self-serving.
- Ensure the President and vice president can be held accountable for crimes committed while they are in office.
- Create an increased congressional oversight over foreign emoluments accepted by federal officials, including requiring congressional consent to accept foreign emoluments and prohibiting the President from accepting domestic payments entirely.
- Give Congress additional tools to enforce subpoenas and pursue accountability of federal officials, such as increased financial penalties for refusing to comply with lawfully issued subpoenas, as well as mandatory reporting requirements for communications between The White House and the Department of Justice.
- Require presidential and vice-presidential candidates to provide ten years of tax returns to the FEC.
- Require certain political actors, such as committees and family members, to report foreign contacts to the FEC and FBI.
Rep. Lou Correa represents California's 46th Congressional District
Next Article Previous Article