Service Academy Nominations
Every year, I’m privileged to nominate bright and hardworking students to attend our nation’s military service academies. Our service academies are some of the top universities in the country and help build strong leaders in our military. It’s an honor to be able to nominate talented young people from our community.
There are four service academies in the United States that require a nomination from an authorized nominating source. Each academy offers young men and women a free college education at a highly-ranked, nationally-recognized academic program while preparing them for an officer's commission in the armed forces. The academies are: the Air Force Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, the Military Academy at West Point, and the Naval Academy. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, does not require a Congressional nomination.
Learn more about our nation's service academies
The application process for the 2023-2024 academic year (Class of 2028) will open on April 1, 2023, and will close on Tuesday, October 31, 2023.
If you are at least a junior in high school and would like to be considered for a nomination to a service academy, please complete, submit, and print the online form below. Please be advised that the form below may only be submitted once, and information cannot be updated through the web form. Once completed, the generated PDF must be printed and must be submitted by mail with all required documents no later than October 31st.
To be considered for admission to the Air Force Academy, U.S. Military Academy, Naval Academy, and the Merchant Marine Academy, an individual must have a nomination either through a Member of the House of Representatives or United States Senate or a military service connection. Applicants may and should seek a nomination from both their Senators and Member of Congress; however, receiving multiple nominations does not enhance or increase an applicant’s chances of admittance to a service academy. To avoid last minute misunderstandings and ensure your application is reviewed, please carefully study and follow the instructions below. Certain information is required for you to be considered as an applicant.
IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to submit this information and keep it updated. Completed applications must be received at our office by October 31st to ensure adequate time to assess each candidate's qualifications. Applications received after that date will not be considered.
Selections are made competitively on the basis of a composite of academic factors, leadership potential, extracurricular activities, and recommendations. The following are included:
- School records, class rank and grade point average.
- Extracurricular activities
- College Board Scores (ACT or SAT)
Applicants will be afforded the opportunity to participate in “Mock Interviews”. Participants of the “Mock Interviews” will gain interview experience and obtain feedback to better prepare for the nomination interviews.
The top candidates for each vacancy will receive an invitation to interview. Invitations will be sent by email. All interviews will be scheduled after the October 31st submission deadline.
- Be at least 17 but not yet 23 years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Not be married, pregnant, or have a legal obligation to support a child or children.
- At least a senior in high school. Graduation from high school before admittance to a military academy is required.
Nomination Application Packet:
To be considered for a nomination, you will need to submit the following to my office in order to complete your nomination file:
- Application for Nomination (This can be accessed at the bottom on this webpage.)
- Photo; A wallet-sized photo, stapled to your application in the space designated. Please put your name on the back of the photo.
- A copy of your high school transcript must be submitted. This transcript must show your final junior grades and numerical class rank. If you apply before this information is available, it is your responsibility to request your guidance counselor to send an up-to-date transcript and to keep your records current.
- A copy of your SAT or ACT scores. "Optional"
- A resume of extracurricular activities.
- Essay; You must submit a short essay which describes yourself and your interest in attending a Military Academy. Please limit the essay to 500 words.
- Three letters of recommendation written by a teacher, counselor, principal, employer, etc. — someone who knows you well, need to be included in your application packet. (No more than three)
- Applicants must be legally domiciled in the 46th Congressional District of the State of California (i.e., where applicant or parents are registered to vote or the home of record for active-duty service members).
- You can find who your U.S. Representative is by clicking on the following link and following the instructions: www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
Applicant must be legally domiciled in the state of California. Please make early contact with the academy of your choice. For you to receive a nomination, the academy needs to have all the required forms, and your file must be complete.
Submit Your Application
You should fill out your application HERE, click SUBMIT, and print out the generate PDF. You should also submit your supplemental materials by mail or by email along with the generated PDF. To email your supplemental materials, email: CA46.Academynominations@mail.house.gov
The mailing address is as follows:
Congressman Lou Correa
Rancho Santiago Community College Building
Attn: Academy Coordinator
2323 N. Broadway,
Suite 319 Santa Ana, CA 92706
Inquiries may be directed to CA46.Academynominations@mail.house.gov.